NCCSP in Brief

Overview of Nepal Climate Change Support | Programme

Nepal is ranked as one of the most climate vulnerable countries in the world. Its remoteness, undulating terrain, fragile topography, extremely diverse landscape and unevenly distributed resources will pose different levels of location and context specific climate change impacts. Nepal’s climate change policy (2011) sets out the goal to improve the people’s livelihoods through climate change impact mitigation and adaptation activities. One of the emphases of this policy is implementation of community based adaptation plans as mentioned in the National Adaptation Programme of Actions (NAPA) 2010. In this context, Nepal Climate Change Support Program (NCCSP) is commencing at the right time to assist the Government of Nepal (GON) in implementing the climate change policy (2011) and the NAPA, and to support other initiatives, including coordination mechanism as well as delivering climate adaptation results at the local level.
UK Aid/DFID and European Union are the funding organizations with a total contribution of 14.6 million pound in which DFID will contribute 7 million pound and EU will contribute 8.6 million euro. UNDP will manage 2.8 million pound through Technical Assistance to the government at central, regional and local level. In addition UNDP will fund US$ 0.3 million. Approximately 80% of the funds allocated for the implementation by government will be used for local level activities and remaining 20% will be implemented for institutional capacity building and coordination at the national level. The 100 Local Adaptation Plan of Actions (LAPAs) developed by the local communities at VDC level are being implemented.

Dhime-JajarkotThrough NCCSP, LAPAs are being implemented in 14 districts, which are Achham, Bajura, Kailali in the Far Western region and Bardiya, Dolpa, Humla, Jumla, Mugu, Dailekh, Jajarkot, Kalikot, Dang, Rolpa and Rukum in the Mid-western region. The target area has an approximate population of three million. The primary beneficiaries of the programme will be the poorest and most climate vulnerable people, particularly poor women and men from disadvantaged and marginalized groups. Other stakeholders include the district line agencies, community based organizations, non-government organizations, indigenous, groups, MoSTE, the Climate Change Council, Ministry of Finance, MoFALD.

NepalThe MoSTE has been leading the programme implementation in coordination with the MoFALD and nepal DDCs/District Energy, Environment and Climate Change Sections (DEECCS). At the district level, DDC has been acting as the focal agency for implementation of the Programme through the DEES/DEEU or DEECC Sections.  NGOs, CBOs and Private Sector are supporting support local level implementation by providing technical support, which is being facilitated by DEECCS. Likewise, UNDP is providing technical assistance to the programme.

NCCSP has included cross-cutting themes such as improved governance, a strong commitment to women’s empowerment, inclusion of the poor and socially disadvantaged groups and ecosystem sustainability. Climate change impacts has been felt disproportionately by the women and the most vulnerable groups and this situation would exacerbate due to existing gender and social slidedisparities. The programme is making strong efforts to promote gender equality and social inclusion through building on past learning from other sectors and organizations.

The programme has have twin track approach of linking bottom up (local) and top down (national) processes to create conducive environment for effective implementation of local level adaptation options.  This approach will also ensure that climate adaptation is integrated into local development processes through local government, non-government organizations including private sector and community-based organizations.

In December 2011, the GoN and DFID signed the Joint EU and DFID Broad Programme Framework to implement NCCSP for 3 years period with commitment of £14.6 million. DFID and EU are funding £7 million and £7.6 million respectively and UNDP will manage 20% of the total sum (approximately £2.8m) to provide technical assistance (TA).

Approximately 80% of the funds allocated for the LAPA implementation by the government will be used for local level activities while the remaining 20% will be dedicated to institutional capacity building and coordination at the national level.

govlogoNepal Climate Change Support Programme (NCCSP)
Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment
Singhadurbar, Kathmandu, Nepal
Telephone: 977-1-4211984,
Website: www.nccsp.gov.np

Copyrights © NCCSP. All rights reserved.